Medreflex Line Medical CenterDr. Petre Muresan, Cluj-Napoca
An article presented by dr. Petre Muresan
To understand what slipped disc is, we have to remember how the spine looks like. The spine is made up of the vertebrae which have intervertebral discs between them. These intervertebral discs are composed of a pulp nucleus, made of proteins with gel-like aspect which confer the elasticity of the disc and work like a cushion.
The elasticity of the intervertebral disc gives us the possibility to move, to bend forward, backward or on one side. The pulp nucleus is surrounded by a tight fiber ring that fixes the nucleus and gives stability to the intervertebral disc.
It is very important to know that the intervertebral disc benefits from a direct irrigation only up to the age of 7 and then it is indirectly irrigated from diffusion from the vessels around. It means that from the age of 7 the disc starts to age and only a few people are aware of this phenomenon.
Another very important characteristic of the intervertebral disc is that it has the capacity of fixing water and then setting it free, with the help of the gel-like proteins mentioned above. This gives it the possibility to work as a cushion. When there is pressure on the spine the proteins in the pulp nucleus fix the water and function like an elastic cushion and when the pressure on the spine is lower the proteins set the fixed water free. But we need a certain period of time for this hydration-dehydration process to take place, and when the pressure on the spine increases too quickly or too much per a time unit, the hydration cannot take place in time and there are lesions appearing on the intervertebral disc. And thus there are fissures appearing that determine the slipped disc.
There are 3 stages in the appearance and evolution of slipped disc:
It can be even symptoms free in the beginning if no nerve root is affected
Pain leaving from the lumbar level and going to one or both legs, up to the top
Pins and needles and numbness leaving from the back and going along the leg, up to the shank and to the toes
Weakness in one or both legs, depending on the seriousness of the disease
Pain in the anterior side of the thigh
The horse tail symptom, consisting of:
Weakness in both legs
Losing control of the urinary bladder, with urinary incontinence (leakage of urine)
Losing control of the colon and of the defecation process
Sexual functions disorders (at both sexes)
Pain at the cervical level, depending on the affected disc (in the beginning)
The pain can irradiate in the shoulder blade, shoulder, arm, forearm and fingers
Paraesthesia (numbness) in these parts when the diseases gets aggravated, even paresis and quadriparesis (weakness of all four limbs)
At our medical center the diagnosis can be made with the help of thermography. The advantages of this method are:
Only 5% of slipped disc needs surgery. The rest of 95% can be treated with drugs on condition that the patient sees a doctor from the beginning, gets a correct and quick diagnosis and an adequate treatment.
Our medical center has focused on natural medical recovery treatments. Under the guidance of doctor Petre Muresan we have obtained special results in treating this disease. Surgery was avoided for many patients and this as a result of the good cooperation between the doctor setting the treatment and the patient (who has to entirely observe the recommendations made during the consultation and during the entire treatment).
The following treatment methods of the slipped disc are used at our medical center:
Reflexotherapy (for more information see the article dedicated to reflexotherapy)
Besides its extremely benefic effects on the spine and slipped disc, reflexotherapy prepares the ground for the next treatment method: the infiltrations.
Local infiltrations – made under thermographic scanning, exactly in the spots indicated by the thermograph, increasing thus their precision and efficiency. They are made by doctor Petre Muresan in person, by using natural drugs, with a regeneration effect of the spine in general and of the affected disc in particular.
With the help of the thermograph we can make the diagnosis, establish the necessary number of treatment sessions, control the efficiency of the treatment and establish when this treatment needs to be repeated.
If you are looking for a natural treatment method, very efficient and with no side effects, you can come to our medical center and use our treatment and recovery methods.
Dr. Petre Muresan